Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Co-Sleeping

Recently co-sleeping has come up as a topic on a board I read.  Apparently an adoptive parent mentioned planning to co-sleep with their adoptive child to her social worker and it was an issue for the home study agency. The agency consequently re-wrote that part of the home study slowing down the process for the AP.  This posting prompted thought provoking conversations on the subject.

When we were adopting I had no plans to co-sleep.  In fact I was afraid to co-sleep.  Would I accidentally hurt my child or would they love it so much that they would never leave my bed?  I had read stories about children being smothered by their parents (infants in the cases I read).  I personally knew parents who were struggling to evict their eight to ten year old kids from their beds. 

But co-sleeping was instinctual and gave our girls particularly Rose such peace that it felt like it was the right thing to do. At almost five they don't often sleep with us - Rose sleeps with us occasionally if she has a nightmare and the night before last they both were in our bed during a thunderstorm.  Every morning we have snuggle time on the big bed and I wouldn't have it any other way.  





No comments:

Post a Comment